Health benefits and Medicinal Properties of Bhumi Amla
What is Bhumi Amla
Health Benefits and Medicinal Properties of Bhumi Amla. Bhumi Amla, also known as Phyllanthus Niruri, is a tropical plant of 50-70 cm in height. Bhumi Amla is just like amla tree in all aspects, except in height. The word “Bhumi” stands for land and Amla stands for Amla tree so it is known as Bhumi Amla due to its smaller size, present in the land, and similar appearance to Amla. It is mainly found in the temperate climate all over coastal India.
Although, the whole plant is useful but the fruit is the most useful part which is very small in size, smooth in capsules form and containing seeds.
Classical Reference Regarding Bhumi Amla
It is as follows –
(Reference – Bhava Prakasha Nighantu,
Guduchyadi Varga, Shloka no. 278
In this Shloka, the properties of Bhumi Amla has been explained. Bhumi Amla is astringent, sweet and bitter in taste with cool in potency and increases Vata doshas (air). It is very useful in cold, cough, digestive disorders, and excessive thirst. Bhumi amla is very useful in conditions like – Itching, Healing injuries, Bronchitis (Kapha), Congestion (Kapha), and Blood disorders.
Medicinal Properties of Bhumi Amla
The medicinal properties are as follow –
– Taste (Rasa) – Astringent (Kashaya), Bitter (Tikta) and Sweet (Madhura).
– Qualities (Guna) – Dry in nature (Ruksha), Light for digestion (Laghu).
– Potency (Veerya) – Cold (Sheeta).
– Taste conversion, after digestion (Vipaka) – converts into sweet taste after digestion (Madhura).
– Actions (Karma) – Reduces Kapha and Pitta dosha (Kaphapitta Shamaka).
Health Benefits of Bhumi Amla
Bhumi Amla is a very useful plant having so many health benefits. We can divide these benefits into two categories, which are as follow –
- Health benefits according to Ayurveda.
- Other health benefits.
1. Health Benefits According to Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, Bhumi Amla is a very useful plant, its uses are as follow –
- Daha – It gives effective results in burning sensation problems.
- Hidhma – It helps to get relief from hiccups.
- Kasa – It is used in cough and cold.
- Kaphaja Kushta – It is useful in all types of skin diseases.
- Pandu – It is very effective for anemic patients.
- Rochani – It improves taste and beneficial in anorexia condition.
- Raktapitta – It is beneficial in bleeding disorders like nasal bleeding and heavy periods.
- Shwasa – This is a very effective herb for asthma and chronic respiratory disorders.
- Trushna – This herb is not only useful in anorexia but also beneficial in excessive thirst condition.
- Visha – This is a very effective herb in toxic conditions.
2. Other Health Benefits
These are as follows –
a. Blood Purification
Bhumi Amla is very useful to purify the blood, mainly the decoction is used. Take 30 ml decoction once a day for blood purification cases.
b. Blocked Nose
Bhumi Amla is very effective in cases of blocked nose, mainly Juice in nasal drop form is used. Put 2-3 drops of Juice in each nostril.
c. Various Types of Fever
Bhumi Amla is very effective in treating various types of fever like – typhoid and malaria, mainly fresh leaves decoction is used.
d. Liver Problems
Bhumi amla is very effective in cases of liver problems like – acidity, indigestion, constipation, dysentery or diarrhea and jaundice. It gives good results in anemia, splenomegaly, and hepatomegaly problems and also helps in increasing appetite. Take 15-20 ml of juice on an empty stomach. The decoction is also very helpful in Liver problems.
e. Inflammation Causes
Bhumi Amla gives good results in swelling cases and various skin infections. Mainly leaves are used and a paste is prepared by mixing a small amount of rock salt in it. Apply this paste at night and wash it in the morning with lukewarm water.
f. Balancing the Doshas
Bhumi Amla is useful to balance the imbalanced doshas in the body. Chew a few leaves of Bhumi Amla on an empty stomach.
g. Useful in various diseases
Bhumi amla is very useful in curing diseases like – All type of Hepatitis viruses like (A, B, C, D & E), kidney and gall bladder stones, diabetes, HTN, urinary diseases, skin ulcers, Menorrhagia, Leucorrhea, Gonorrhea, Liver carcinoma, Venereal disease, cystitis, cataract, facial palsy, paralysis, and even in HIV.
Bhumi amla is available in the following forms –
- Leaves of Bhumi amla – These can be chewed on an empty stomach.
- Powder form – 3-6 gm, as per requirement.
- Capsule form – 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
- Decoction form – Decoction can be made and consume 20-30 ml twice daily.
- Juice from – 15-20 ml twice daily.
Planet Ayurveda’s Products Containing Bhumi Amla as their Main Ingredient
Planet Ayurveda offers Bhumi amla in two forms – capsule form and powder form. All these products are pure, natural, vegetarian, preservative-free, chemical-free, side effect free and can be used for a prolonged period of time. Products description is as follow –
1. Phyllanthus Niruri (capsule form)
These capsules are prepared by using pure and standardized extracts of the herb Bhumi Amalaki. This is very useful in treating Pitta dosha disorders. The main action of the herb is on the Liver. These capsules not only treat the diseases but also revive us and restore the functions of the various organs. These capsules help to rejuvenate the damaged cells of the liver hence; it is beneficial in liver cirrhosis, liver fibrosis, hepatomegaly, and various hepatobiliary problems. These are also used to treat kidney problems like renal stones, renal failure, nephrotic syndrome, reduced GFR, polycystic kidney disease, etc. These are also very useful to treat HTN, malaria, bacterial infections, autoimmune disorders, spleen disorders, pancreatic disorders, and joint disorders.
1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Bhumi Amla Powder
This is prepared by using the pure extract of Phyllanthus Niruri herb. This powder acts as an appetizer and helps to stimulate the digestive fire (Agni), increases the bile secretion, improves the condition of the liver and digests the toxins. It is very useful in -liver cirrhosis, hepatomegaly, hepatitis, jaundice, nephrotic syndrome, dyslipidemia, inflammatory disorders, autoimmune disorders, fatty infiltration of the liver, diabetes, renal ailments, and gall stones. This herb has anti-viral, anti-helminthic, diuretic, hypoglycemic, and laxative properties and helps to control Vata and Pitta dosha hence helpful in managing cough and cold and polydipsia (excessive thirst).
3-6 gm, as per requirement.
Verway Athens would like to thank for the guest post
MD – AYURVEDA is an expert Ayurvedic practitioner based in Chandigarh, India and doing his practice in Mohali, India. He is spreading the knowledge of Ayurveda Ancient healing treatment, not only in India but also abroad. He is the CEO and Founder of Planet Ayurveda Products, Planet Ayurveda Clinic, and Krishna Herbal Company.